Rascal Flatts' Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 sm. onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 4 (14-oz.) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 c. of your favorite dry soup noodle, such as orzo, stelle, acini di pepe, alphabets, etc.
- 3/4 lb. cooked chicken, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 c. frozen peas
- Salt and black pepper
Spray a heavy soup pot with nonstick vegetable spray. Heat pot over medium heat and sauté the onion, celery, and carrots until fragrant and starting to brown, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic, parsley, and thyme, and sauté 30 seconds more. Do not brown garlic.
Add the tomatoes and stir well, dissolving any browned bits on bottom of pot. Add the broth and bay leaf, and bring to a boil.
Stir in the pasta, and continue to stir until soup returns to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente, about 6 to 10 minutes, or according to package directions.
Stir in the chicken and peas, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Return soup to a simmer and cook until chicken is just heated through.
Makes 4 to 6 main servings, 8 to 12 side servings.