Preheat oven 250 degrees.
1. Combine egg yolks and sugar. Beat until well creamed.
2. In saucepan, combine heavy cream and vanilla extract, blending over medium heat until mixture just simmers.
3. Remove from heat and slowly pour into egg mixture while whipping.
4. Then strain the mixture to remove any solids that may have developed.
5. Divide into 4 serving dishes or ramekins. Place dishes in pan with 1 inch of water and place in oven for 50 minutes.
6. Remove and place in refrigerator for 6 -12 hours.
7. Place about 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar on top of each crème brulee. Using a kitchen blow torch, caramelize the sugar until it becomes dark brown and crispy, then serve! If you do not have a kitchen blow torch, place the dishes under the broiler until the sugar is caramelized. Watch it carefully so it does not burn.