Friday, July 15, 2011
MEMAW'S BANANA PUDDING
from Jeff Bates Memaw, Nadine Daniel
1 cup sugar
2 heaping tablespoons all purpose flour
3 egg yolks (beaten) (Save the whites for the meringue.)
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 stick butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
bananas, sliced (approx. 2 medium bananas)
1 box vanilla wafers
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. n a large mixing bowl, add 1 cup of sugar and 2 heaping tablespoons flour and mix together.
2. Then add 3 beaten eggs, 1 1/2 cups milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix together until well blended.
3. Pour contents into a saucepan, add 1/2 stick butter and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat until it has thickened to a pudding consistency. Stir often being careful not to scorch the pudding. Remove from heat.
4. In a square baking dish, cover the bottom and sides with vanilla wafers. Place sliced bananas on top of wafers and around sides of the dish. Pour in pudding and add more wafers and bananas to the top.
5. Top pudding with the meringue and place in 375 degree preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until meringue browns.
3 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1. Beat the egg whites at high speed until they form soft peaks.
2. At high speed, gradually add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form.
3. Spread the meringue over the pudding, sealing it at the sides of the dish, and bake as instructed above.
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)