- 3 tablespoons Butter Flavor Crisco
- 1 1/2 cups Martha White yellow cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 500°
- Put 3 tablespoons Crisco in the iron skillet and melt. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix cornmeal, egg and buttermilk to right consistency (should not be thick nor too liquidy). Pour the melted shortening into the mixture, leaving a small amount in the skillet so the bread will not stick, and stir. Sprinkle a little bit of cornmeal in the skillet then pour the mixture into the skillet.
- Bake at 500° until it is deliciously golden brown.