- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pimentos (from a 4-ounce jar)
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed (4 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt the butter in the oil. Add the onion, bell pepper and celery and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the milk and whisk until combined. Simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes. Season the mixture with salt, pepper and Tabasco. Remove from the heat and stir in the mayonnaise, chicken and pimentos.
- Transfer the chicken mixture to a 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish. Scatter the crushed crackers on top. Bake for about 45 minutes, until the casserole is golden and bubbling. Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Don't forget if you'd like to share a favorite recipe please e-mail it to me at BMiller@wfls.com!!